Monday, November 10, 2008

Living in Another Country

My son, Kalvin wrote.

A year ago, I came to USA from Korea. It was the biggest change and an adventure in my life since I have lived all my life in Korea. Change of the language to English was not a big deal because I have learned English in Korea. I could communicate, read and write with no difficulty. I still use Korean at home not to lose my mother language with my mom. The school was the biggest change for me. At my first sight, I was dazzled by the huge High School complex. Once the school year started, I had to adjust to the American high school teenager’s life. Many things were new for me. Moving class to class is one of the challenges I had to deal with from the first day. I started playing sports and music in school, which is not offered in Korean schools.

I do not think I would have done anything differently to get through my adjustment in USA. But, it did take a long time to adjust to this new country and I did have many mistakes, such as not properly dressing up for the band concert. I have only few experience of wearing a tuxedo in Korea, and I did not take it serious when the band conductor said I needed a white college shirt and a black tuxedo jacket. Living in another country can be difficult with a lot of surprises, but once you adjust to the host country, you get to appreciate the positive side of America and it will help you grow.

1 comment:

  1. Kalvin,

    I am sorry again not to prepare the appropriate uniform for the band performance. That was your first performance and I should've paid more attention. We were so new to everything around us at that time. Now, we are still adjusting, but I think we all feel confidence on making sense.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete