My daughter, Ester, wrote.
2007, August 1st, I moved to U.S.A from Korea which was a big change of my life. I came to America because my mom wanted me to have better education. And really, compared to Korea, U.S has a great education. This is a writing comparing U.S.A and Korea’s education.
Korea’s education is not much to say of. They always study study. Lots of kids play piano, or other instruments, but they don’t care seriously because they have to quit once they reach 4 or 5th grader to focus on their study. Most of Korean students go to institutes after school. Institutes are like small private schools, where you study different subjects relating to school academics such as Math, English, Reading, Writing, and Science. Students usually go to several institutes. Here’s an example: A 4th grader or higher grader would come home from school at about 3 to 4 PM, and go to different institutes until approximately 10 PM or longer. During summer and winter vacation, these students go to institute from 8 AM till midnight. Korea’s institute education is very competitive and serious. In contrast, the quality of regular school is not that good because most of the parents in Korea only care about institutes for their sons and daughters which is why they pay a lot for the institutes. I think people should care more about the regular schools than institutes because the school is where you spend a lot of hours and hang out with friends.
Other side on the globe, USA, has great schools and good education system. The school is huge and the people here are so nice and encouraging each other. But the students here don’t study as much as Korean students do. But, they more involve for other activities like music, sports. Since I have moved to this great new place with a good school, I have been studying a lot more because I have to catch up my English with kids lived here whole life and I found learning is fun. My speaking, writing and reading improved a lot and I am very happy because I think I am doing more than fine at school. I’m proud of myself ^^. It was a good choice moving to USA for good education except for the fact that I had to leave all my friends and other family.
There are lots of interesting things to learn here, but I would never give up my Korean language because that is who I am and my identity.

I am so happy for you that you like your school that much. Keep up with your high sprit and enjoy.
ReplyDeleteMom